Four months ago today our lives changed forever. The experience that was already unique (having twins) was made even more complicated by the fact that our little baby Ben (baby B) had ruptured membranes. So scared as we sat there waiting for answers, waiting for a guide as to what our new journey would look like... instead we were given a 50/50 chance that we would make it out of the next 48 hours still pregnant , and told to go home and WAIT. Waiting became the vain of our existence over the next three weeks at home, 10 weeks at Abbott and now 3 1/2 weeks with the boys still in the hospital. As most of you know... patience may not be my strongest virtue! Endless weeks of waiting, hoping, loving, learning... crying, laughing and talking finally got us to January 14th... Nathan and Benjamin were finally here!!! We were again scared, excited and told that the boys just needed time to grow and get stronger. WAITING!!! We are again being tested on our ability to stay positive, and to be patient! I have often said to Brent over the last 3 weeks... "I think that we used up all of our patience on bed rest!" I guess that when people say that becoming a parent changes everything... they are right! It is no longer about what I want or what Brent wants or what we want as a couple, it is now about what Nathan and Benjamin NEED. We have to be patient because that is what they need from us,,, we are their parents and it is our responsibility. When I became a mom I knew that parts of my life would be different, less time for me, less money, fewer happy hours and more midnight and 2am feedings but also I knew that there would be the addition of love, a combined commitment between me and the person I love most in the world. Little did I know that I would become a different person... a different nurse! I will no longer look at a mother and wonder why it took so long to get to the hospital, or why a lost baby hat brings her to tears or why their heart breaks when the journey seems to turn from days to weeks or weeks to months. For my wonderful nursing friends out there, a few helpful hints... always introduce yourself when the parents walk into the room (it is nice to know who is taking care of your child while you are not there), if a mom looks like she is falling apart.... find out why believe me it will make your life easier and it will make all the difference to her. For those of us who work in the NICU... I always knew that it was hard for families to walk out and leave their babies with us... what I never realized is that a little piece of your heart breaks as a parent when you leave your baby at the hospital... realizing that this isn't NORMAL... that it feels like everyone else just gets to have a baby and leave the hospital with them... and that for the 22nd day in a row you are forced to leave the hospital without your baby.
Brent being far more "glass half full" and logical then myself often reminds me that we are lucky... we are lucky that we made it as far as we did, lucky to have wonderful parents ourselves, lucky to have so many wonderful friends and family, lucky that Benjamin and Nathan are doing as well as they are, lucky that we have gotten all this extra time to meet our boys and learn so much about each of their personalities... and of course lucky to have such a wonderful husband! So on the the days where I'm impatient, tired and sick of being positive he is there to help me see that we truly are LUCKY! So we will continue to WAIT, wait for Nathan to grow, eat a whole bottle and have enough neck muscles to pass his carseat evaluation and wait for Benjamin to GROW, mature his lungs, learn to eat and pass his carseat evaluation. Every time Nathan wiggles and makes little baby noises and every time Benjamin gets the hiccups and looks at me with those big blue eyes, I realize that these two little boys were worth the WAIT! I have to hope however that the journey ahead of us is filled with more love and laughter and less anxiety and tears then the journey behind us!
We are so anxious to get these babies home and to introduce them to all the people who have loved and prayed for their safe arrival. Not only are they lucky to have so many people that love them... Brent and I are so lucky to have so many people that LOVE us!!! We simply could not have WAITED without each of you... the cards, the emails, the calls, the text messages, the visits, the food, the house cleaning, the dog walking and a million other things have made the journey managable!! Thank you!
Hopefully both boys will be home by their original due date which was March 8th. Nathan currently weighs 4 pounds 13 ounces and Benjamin weighs 3 pounds 13 ounces. Both boys are doing well they just need time to grow and mature and get stronger... So Brent and I continue to wait because some day soon we will finally have our babies home with us and the waiting will be over!
Hello Emily! I have not forgotten about you! I still check your journal every day! We are so happy for you and Brent to have such beautiful boys! Or should i say handsom! Your journal entry was amazing and it made me cry! Just thought i let you know! We think and pray about your babys and for you and your husband every day! We love you!
ReplyDeleteThe Phillips family!
And so the journey begins. You will anxiously await each milestone and once you think you have made it past the worst of it...those two boys will keep you sitting up waiting once again while they stay out hours past their cerfew. Aahhhh parenthood...best thing ever! So anxious to catch up and get our paws on those two! We are heading out of town tomorrow not to return until Mar 4. We HOPE and PRAY that your wait will be long over by then and we can finally get all of these boy wonder twins together!
ReplyDeletexoxo
THE SMYTHS
Emily, as a parent of a NICU graduate I can tell you that your advice to your colleagues is spot on. It is a very emotional journey indeed. It is such a gift as a mother to have the nurse taking care of your baby also take a moment to take care of the mommy a little. I'm totally choked up right now. I remember coming and going from the NICU clearly. You are right, it isn't normal to leave your baby there. And a piece of your heart is left behind each time. Be patient with yourself - the time will come when your little ones can come home. I can tell you it seems like forever (our stay was 112 days) and when you first get home and your totally sleep deprived and feeling crazy those days will drag on and on. Pretty soon they'll be turning 1, then 2 & 3. Time will go so quickly! Take care Miss Emily, you have an amazing support system of friends and family. Your sweet little boys are so forturnate to have an awesome mom and dad like you and Brent.
ReplyDeleteYour post will have a ripple affect on other moms with bebes in the hospital as your friends at work note your advice to them. Speaking for the NICU moms, "Thank you!"
Sarah Champe
Hi Emily--
ReplyDeleteIsn't it amazing how two little lives have changed your life forever!! There is no greater joy in the world than being a mom(and also a gramma). I am sorry the journey for you has been fraught with anxiety and fear at times, but I am so happy for you and Brent that the boys are here now and are doing well. As a NICU nurse, this journey has not only changed you as a person, but also as a nurse. It has changed me as well, because when I take care of a mom now, I do think of you, and I make sure that I treat every mom in the same way that I would treat her if she were my coworker.
Thank you so much for keeping this blog and allowing us to share this journey with you. Being that we who are your coworkers know you, you have really put your life and your emotions out there for all to see, and I know in some ways that it isn't easy.
You have been an amazing mom to your little guys already...making the best of your bedrest and your time at Abbott, and doing all you could do to keep them in as long as you could. Your two little guys are very lucky and blessed boys to have you and Brent for parents.
Know that I continue to think of you and your little miracles, and you all are in my prayers!!
Hugs--
Cindy Swain